Monday, December 05, 2011

A Full Liver

Yesterday a philosopher-linguist friend was telling me about how in the Tupi Gurani language family, they refer to the liver and not the heart for matters of emotion, or of the heart. So, they'd say: My liver is full of joy :)

I also learnt that some older languages were geared towards "truth" telling. For example, in some language, there is no generalization like "a liver", just "my liver" or "his/her liver". Because everyones liver is unique. So limited generalizations need a limited set of words. Hmmm, tough concept to digest ;)

The heart-liver fun fact of the day led me to refresh my memory about the human body and its functions.
We'll start with a photograph of where the (general) liver and heart are.

No comments:

The irony of the relationship between technology and idleness

One of the purposes of everyday technology (mobiles, laptops, etc.) is to make us more efficient. But we rarely use our 'freed up&...