Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ahem

So I went for a haircut today and the stylist asked me if I was from India.

So I said yes and was generally chatting. Then she said: Isn't India very poor and dirty? So I clarified the situation of how to imagine India when your world view is that of a typical closed-minded Dutch-e. She went on to ask me bordering-on-racism questions like whether I intend to live in the Netherlands blah blah.

What I would like to say to her:

Netherlands: For a population of 16 million
Gross external debt$373.3 billion (31 December 2009)

India: For a population of 1.2 billion
Gross external debt$238 billion (31 December 2010 est.)

PS: And the hair cut wasn't great either :)

1 comment:

Blasted Soul said...

You should have waited till the haircut was over..

The irony of the relationship between technology and idleness

One of the purposes of everyday technology (mobiles, laptops, etc.) is to make us more efficient. But we rarely use our 'freed up&...